Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Getting the most out of your roast turkey or chicken

I don't really have a recipe to share today, but I thought I would share with you how I get a lot of meals out of one roast turkey or chicken since I did this last week. I used a turkey this time, but this can also be done with a chicken, just on a smaller scale. I can usually get at least a week's worth of meals and a bunch of broth out of one 15-20 lb turkey. On the day that I roast it, we use some of the meat for that night's dinner, along with gravy made from the pan drippings. After it has cooled (usually the next day), I strip all the meat off the bones and chop it all up into bite sized pieces. I divide the meat up into approximately 2 cup amounts (since that is about what most recipes call for) and put all but one into pint size freezer bags. I put all the bags in the freezer and they are all ready to go for recipes that call for cooked chopped turkey or chicken. The remaining 2 cups I use for a recipe later in the week. With my 15 lb turkey last week I put 5 bags in the freezer.
Next I take all the bones and toss them into a large pot to make broth. With a turkey, I usually divide it between 2 pots.

Then add some chopped up carrots, celery (with the leaves) and onions, and about 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and a sprig of parsley to each pot. Add enough water to cover it all and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for about 1 hour. Then use a cheese cloth and strain everything out of the broth. Discard all the bones and vegetables and let the broth cool a bit. Then lay a piece of plastic wrap over the top so that it is laying right on the broth and cool completely in the fridge. Once it is cool, the fat will have risen to the top and when you remove the plastic wrap, most of it will stick to the wrap, making it easy to remove. (I was going to get a picture of this for you, but somehow between the cooking and cooling of the broth our camera got broke!) If you don't want to use the plastic wrap, you can still use a spoon and skim off the fat. Then place in freezer bags or containers in the your desired amount. Be sure to leave enough room for expansion! I usually do some in 1 cup and some in 4 cup amounts because most recipes call for whole cup amounts and my favorite soup recipe calls for 4 cups of broth. Then I can just unthaw as needed and it is ready to go! With this turkey I got 4 quart jars and 3 small jars that I put 1 cups worth in.
Do you have any great money saving tips that you use in your kitchen? I would love to hear them, so leave me a comment!
I am linking this post up with Raising Homemakers!

4 comments:

Jaime Lynn said...

Thank you so much! I love these types of posts! I love learning how to get more out of stuff and make things easier! <3

Mrs. Doug said...

We just finished butchering chickens and some were 13 lbs. Since there's just Mr. D and me here most of the time, we don't need all that meat at one time. I think Mr. D would eat the whole bird in one sitting if I let him :)

I like to put some away for quick meals just as you do and we always save the broth... either using it right away or putting it into the freezer. When I have an extra amount of root veggies or left-over veggies, I dig one of those pkgs out of the freezer and make up a batch of "never the same twice" soup with a batch of WW biscuits. Great on one of those nights when you've had to dig the car out of the snowbank twice and dig out the front door before you can get into the house. I know you've all had those days :)

I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love these posts!
Following from bloghop...would love to have you follow back!
http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/

Brandy said...

That's awesome that you get so much out of one turkey...I would love some of your recipes that you use the turkey in afterward. I am now following.
Spotted Smiles
I love the fact that you have a daily bible verse and I am going to look into getting one of those for my blog.

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails