Thursday, September 16, 2010

Easy Freezer Corn

I got all my corn froze a couple days ago. We prefer the taste of frozen over canned, so that is why I freeze it instead of can it. And I think freezing is easier, especially using a few tricks to make it all go quickly. I did a whole wheelbarrow full and it took me about 2 hours with a few breaks to get the kids lunch or help them with something. I thought I would share with you how I do it in case you might be interested in trying it.

After you have picked and peeled all your corn, you need to get some water boiling. I use 2 big pots to keep things moving. You need to boil the corn for 5 minutes.
Then you need to immediately put them in cold water to stop the cooking. I use my sink full of ice water (all the ice had melted by the time I took the picture).

Then comes the fun part, cutting off the kernels! I use a tube pan and my electric knife and this makes it quick and easy. Just hold the corn on the center tube, saw the kernels off, and let them fall into the pan.


You will be left with a nicely cleaned off cob and you will hardly waste any corn.

Then it is ready to be scooped into the freezer containers of your choice. I always use pint Ziploc bags and this is the perfect amount for most recipes or for our family to eat at one meal.

This year I got 24 pints from our garden, which is kind of a small year, but at least it is done before the baby is here!

3 comments:

melanie said...

hmmm, trying again to comment... Just to say hello!

Conny said...

HOW CLEVER - I'd never have thought to use a tube pan & electric knife!! I have both - so that's what I'll be trying!!

Mrs. Doug said...

I don't think I've ever seen a tube pan used this way. Since I have one that I never use for anything else, this would be a great idea. I used my electric knife to cut foam rubber with, so it may need to be sharpened, but guess I could use a sharp butcher knife too if needed.

Good to see you're getting stuff put up for winter.

Thanks for sharing this clever idea.

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails