Linked up with:
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Curing An Ear Infection Naturally
I know this is an odd post to write in the middle of summer and especially when most of the country is in the middle of a heat wave. But it seems that global warming has forgotten our little corner of the world and it still feels like the middle of spring here. Our neighbors have been pumping water out of their blueberry and potato fields for the past week! And since the weather is crummy, my kids thought they would help contribute to the overall crumminess (is that a word?) of our wet summer and get colds. So on Friday, I wasn't too surprised when Sweetie told me her ear hear really bad. The last thing I want to do on a Friday however is go to the doctor's office. I've made that mistake before. So I hopped on the wonderful world wide web to see if there was anything I could try at home first. I figured there had to be something people used years ago before they could just run to the doctor like we can now, right? So I found quite a few sites that had natural remedies using garlic and olive oil. This site was the most helpful with quite a list of things I could try. I didn't have any fresh garlic on hand, but I did have olive oil and lavender essential oil. So I tried mixing a drop of the lavender in about 20 drops of oil, putting a couple drops in Sweetie's ear and then massaging it in. Within 1/2 an hour she said her ear was all better! I was amazed! Since most of the other kids had all the makings for developing ear infections, I headed to the store for some fresh garlic, since that seems like it is the most effective option.
And it was a good move, because on Saturday night, Sweetie's ear hurt again and on Monday morning, Lovebug said his ear hurt. Both times I heated a clove of garlic in a little olive oil, placed a couple drops in their ears, and massaged it. And both times it was gone within an hour! Hopefully this means no more doctor visits and antibiotics for ear infections for us! (Disclaimer: I am not a health care professional. I am only sharing what worked for us. Please do your own research or consult your doctor to make your own decisions on treating your children!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
So glad it worked for you guys! I've also heard that heated garlic/mullien drops work... They didn't work for our little guy beause his ears were too plugged for any of the oils to get to where they needed to go.): But I can see that when tubes aren't needed they would definitely help!
Glad your kids are feeling better. My friend who is a holistic health "doctor" put a few drops of Everclear (which is like a 190 proof vodka) in my son's ear once when he had an ear ache ... he also massaged/"cracked" his ear somehow that it flowed down into the ear canal ... My only issue is I really don't want to be seen buying Everclear!!! We live in a really small town & people will talk!! LOL
Glad your kids are better, Michelle ~ and without the office call or antibiotics!
Just make sure you warm the garlic concoction close to body temperature before putting it in their ears... Room temp is not warm enough. Ask my son how I know this :-\
I have garlic extract that we take orally when needed, so I just used a drop of that.
Awesome natural remedy! Chiropractic can help also!
I'd love to invite you to share this post and others that may fit to my recently new link up called Healthy 2day Wednesdays! For sharing healthy ideas, tips, going "green" suggestions, recipes, natural remedies, etc. Hope you'll check it out!
Loved this post!
Hey, do I know you? I received an email last year from a mom named Michelle with four kids who lived on a farm. Btw my name is also Michelle and I have five kids and do not live on a farm lol Just asking.
thanks for the link. I got an ear infection a couple weeks ago for the very first time! I got some drops a the healthfood store that had some of these items mentioned in the article. it cleared it up in a few days. raw garlic is good for many things! if I have a sore throat coming on during the winter months I eat a couple of minced cloves on some whole wheat spaghetti. it clears it up!
Do you know if you can use this on a baby? My little guy is almost 4 months old and I think he has an ear infection....
Also your doctor might not tell you this but there are studies that indicate that antibiotics don't actually help the infection clear up any fast, besides which it will only make them more susceptible to infections in the future. I'm saying this as someone who got their last "childhood" ear infection at the age of FIFTEEN! It was a vicious cycle for me growing up! I would never give my boys antibiotics for something like this, but I'm LOVING this olive oil/garlic idea! Garlic is supposed to be so good for so many things. Neither of my kids have ever had an ear infection, but now I'll know what to do if they ever do!
Post a Comment