As part of Buddy's curriculum this year he is learning a new verse from Proverbs each week. One week to learn and remember a new verse is kind of fast for him and Sweetie, so I wanted to find a way to help them remember the verses even after we were done studying them. At first we reviewed all the verses that we had previously learned each day, but that started taking quite a while once we had gotten a few months of school in. Then I came across this site about memorizing scripture and thought that would be a great way for us also. I changed it a little to fit our family better, but if you want to do it they way they describe, there is a link to printable divider cards at the bottom of the page. We use a recipe file box with 26 divider cards labeled Daily, Odd, Even, Sunday thru Saturday, and numbered 1 & 16, 2 & 17, 3 & 18, etc until 15 & 30 and the last one is 31. Then when we are learning a new verse, I write it on an index card and it goes behind the Daily tab to be repeated daily. We usually have 2 or 3 verses there. Once the kids have them down, they get moved behind either the Odd or Even tab so that we can review it every other day, depending on if the date is an odd or even number. Once the kids know them better, they get moved behind one of the days of the week tabs so that they are reviewed once a week. By this time the kids know them pretty well and then they get moved behind one of the tabs with 2 numbers on so that they get reviewed twice a month. For example the one behind the 1 & 16 card gets reviewed on the 1st and 16th of the month. We haven't learned enough yet to have any behind the 31 card, but it will be one that they know really well since that one will only get reviewed 7 times a year!
For other memorization ideas, visit Do Not Depart


4 comments:
What a GREAT idea! SO COOL! I may use this for myself!!!!!
Great idea and great blog! I found it on Raising Homemakers! Thanks and have a great day!
This is an excellent way to review. And review is so key to retaining. Thanks for sharing this!
What a neat idea to memorize! I get reminders from the program I use to memorize my verses, but this sounds like a good way to review for my daughter's memory work for her class. =)
Post a Comment