Since having Peanut, I've really struggled to find a good routine for my quiet time. I really prefer to have it in the morning, but Peanut is a pretty early riser and often it seems that no matter how early I get up, she (or one of the other kiddos) is up within minutes of me! I think they just know when someone is up and need to be up too. (I've often wondered if they conspire together to take turns getting up early and in the middle of the night. They probably have a whole schedule planned out. "You get this morning, this morning, and this night, and I'll take these. Maybe we'll give her a night off here, but then you can have this one again. We gotta keep her tired, that's how we can get away with things!") I have kind of settled into a pretty regular quiet time at night now once the kids are asleep, but by then I am beat and ready for bed! Recently Jodi posted about having a comfy chair in her room for her quiet time and I think that I might have to give that a try. If I can get a nice place set up in our bedroom, then maybe the kiddos won't hear me up and I can get my quiet time back to the morning. Even when I do find some quiet time, it can be hard for me to focus and not be thinking about what needs to be done around the house or something that is happening with the kids. This past Sunday our pastor said that if you have a hard time focusing, start asking yourself questions about what you are reading. I have tried this and it really helps, so I may start writing down more stuff also as I'm reading.I have been reading through the Bible chronologically this year and that has encouraged me to at least get that done everyday. I have also been reading through A Wife After God's Own Heart, 31 Days to Clean, As Unto the Lord, and For Instructions In Righteousness (to plan out some character training to do with the kids.) I have a journal to write prayers in and may start to use it (or another one) to write my reading notes/questions. I have a couple other free e-books, Maximize Your Mornings and Mission Statements for Moms on my reading list. I recently found this cute basket to keep all my books in so they are at least in one place and ready when I have some time.
Do you have a quiet time? What works for you? For other ideas, check out Jodi's post that I am linking up with.


4 comments:
You inspire me to get back into my quiet time. If you can find the time with 4 little ones, I should be able to find time without any kids and only working 1 day a week. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Aunt Linda
Thanks so much for sharing, Michelle! i am going to have to check out the Mission Statements for moms! i have to be honest . . . recently i have been doing my QT's in the kitchen . . . it is like the hub . . .but it has worked well oddly enough. But it has been happening around 10-11. Actually, I need to go do it right now and it is 3:44 pm!!! thanks for linking up and being real. It is HARD to have a routine with a little one! (and old ones . . . and homeschooling . . . )
I'm such a night owl that night works best for me.
My pastor's suggestion for wandering minds was to have a notebook nearby that you could write the things that pop in your head down in and then leave that thought behind.
Yes, I have conspiratorial children as well. I love the comfy chair idea. I do get a quiet time, but I'm finding I have to steal it away when I get the chance. Schedules change around here a lot. I keep a journal for my thoughts as I read, and I love it. It really helps with the focus aspect of things and helps new things come to light.
Post a Comment