Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Some of My Summer Reading

I've been reading quite a few books for review lately, some great, some not as great.  Here's a couple of my reviews:

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson with Susy Flory

I think most of us remember where we were on Sept 11, 2001.  I know I do, and I wasn't anywhere near New York or connected to anyone who was.  For those who were there and went through the attacks on the Twin Towers, I'm sure they remember much more about that day than those who weren't.   Michael Hingson was one of the survivors who was in the first tower that got hit.  He was up on the 78th floor and was able to walk all the way down the stairs and get out.  If that doesn't make his story amazing enough, he did it blind, using his guide dog Roselle to guide himself and others out and to safety.  The story goes back and forth between Sept 11 and Michael's past as he tells about how his blindness and his guide dogs have shaped his life, but it was still very easy to read and flowed together very nicely. This was a great true story and as the 10th anniversary of the attacks approaches, it is a good reminder of all that happened on that day, how many people were killed, and how many people made it out safely.

I received this book for free for review from Booksneeze.

Dry As Rain by Gina Holmes

When I first started to read Dry As Rain, I wasn't really sure if I was going to like it.  It is written in the first person from a male perspective, despite the author being female.  As I got into it however, I found that Gina Holmes did a great job writing it.  It is a story of betrayal and a broken marriage.  When the story begins, Eric and Kyra are already separated with little hope of reconciliation.  But when Kyra loses her memories of the separation in a car accident, Eric sees it as a second chance from God to try and save his marriage.  Slowly she regains her memory though and also finds out about Eric's infidelity and kicks him out of their house again.  Eric finally faces the fact that he needs to be completely honest and write Kyra an apology letter for all he has done to break down their marriage.  You will have to read the book yourself to see how it ends up!  This book has some good lessons about honesty and forgiveness and is a good reminder to have good communication and not take your marriage for granted.


I received this book for free for review from Tyndale House Publishers.

No comments:

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails