Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ~ Zucchini Salsa

Is it weird that I love standing in my pantry staring at my slowly filling shelves, planning where the next canning project will get lined up?  Does anyone else do this? No? Well, I guess I am weird, but I love seeing my hard work lining the shelves and deciding where it should all go!  Last week I had fun trying out a new canning recipe for zucchini salsa and it is pretty tasty!  We always have loads of zucchini and so do most other people I know, making it hard to even give it away so I thought I would find something new to do with it this year.  I've also done zucchini bread and butter pickles for the first time this year and they turned out pretty good too.  Here is instructions for the salsa:
Ingredients

10 cups chopped zucchini (you can peel and/or shred it if you want, but really, who has time for that?)

4 chopped onions

2 chopped green peppers

2 chopped red peppers

8 chopped jalapeno peppers (I left the seeds in one and removed them from the rest and this produced a medium salsa, you can adjust according to your taste or leave out altogether)

1/4 cup pickling salt

1 tablespoon pickling salt

2 tablespoons dry mustard

1 tablespoon garlic powder 

1 tablespoon cumin

2 cups white vinegar 

1 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon pepper

5 cups chopped tomatoes

2 tablespoons cornstarch 

12 ounces tomato paste

Directions: In a large bowl combine: Zucchini, onions, green pepper, red pepper, jalapenos and the  1/4 cup salt. Mix together cover and let stand over night.

The next day rinse, drain well and put into a large pot (or 2 if you don't have a really big one like me) then add mustard, garlic, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, remaining salt, cornstarch, nutmeg, pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. 

Pour into sterilized jars, add lids and rings, and water bath jars for 15 minutes.  Remove from water and listen for that magic pop, pop, pop of sealing jars!
This makes about 12 pints, but I put a lot of mine in 1/2 pints because we don't eat that much at once.

Linked up with:
Raising Homemakers












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your site from a link. The recipe looks very good! You have a lot of good posts. Thank you! Sarah

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

I've never heard of Zucchini Relish, but now I want to try it!

I'd love it if you liked your recipe up to my Making a Home linky!

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy
lindaslunacy.com

Jamie Lynn said...

Looks delicious, Michelle!:) It's always great when you find another way to use up zucchini this time of the year!:)

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails