I really dislike having to keep nagging my kids to do their daily chores. It gets old fast and just makes me frustrated. A couple months ago, I decided we needed a new chore system to help us out. I went online and found a few that are working for other people, so I used ideas from those to come up with something that would work for us. First I printed off or made up little cards with all the chores on them and put magnets on the back of them. (I got most of my printables from Homeschool Creations if you are interested in using these yourself.) While doing this, I also got ideas for chores they could be helping with and weren't, so those were added to the list too. I also made some for things that aren't chores they get rewarded for, but they still need to do them everyday like brush their teeth and hair. Then I made a chart for each kid divided into morning, afternoon, and extra chores. Then each night I put all the cards on their chart for the chores they need to do the next day.
I also made a pocket for each of them to put their finished chore cards in when they were done with each chore. Then at the end of the day I can just pull out all their cards to see how many chores they did, instead of having to reward them after each chore or try remember to do it later.
For their reward, they get a marble for each chore that they complete. They each have their own jar and when the jar gets full, they earn a dollar. Their jars each hold about 30 marbles and they are averaging about $1 a week.
We are also trying to teach them about tithing and saving, so when they earn a dollar, we give it to them in quarters. One quarter gets put in their tithe jars, one in a savings jar, and they get one for spending. They get to decide where they want to put the last quarter. They really like having their own money to take to the store and decide what they want to spend it on and they also enjoy bringing their own money to church for tithing.
So far it has been going really well and it is so nice just to remind the kids to go look what is left on their chore list rather than me have to figure out what each kid has already done or needs to work on yet. We are only using this system for Buddy and Sweetie, since Lovebug is too young to understand how it works, but we are trying to figure out something to help encourage him to help out with the chores. Any suggestions?


3 comments:
GREAT ideas, Michelle! I'm going to have to implement a few of them.:) P.S. When can I bring you over a dinner? -Jamie
Hello! This chore chart is my favorite by far!! I have been trying to print the images for the chores off, but I am having a hard time. I went to the link you posted but it still is not working, do you have any more tips? Thanks! And thanks for sharing this :)
When you click the link it should take you to the Homeschool Creations post about her chore system. Once there, you can click on the picture of the chore cards and that should open a pdf file. The chore cards are on page 7 & 8 so you have to scroll way down. Hope this helps!
Post a Comment