We really like waffles around here and I usually make them from scratch with this recipe I've shared before. I recently found a sourdough waffle recipe that I thought I would try out with my starter. They turned out really good and hubby even said he likes them better than the ones I usually make! They taste really good with strawberries, peaches, or syrup and this recipe makes quite a few so you could freeze some for later and then pop them in the toaster when you want to use them! Also, we rarely have buttermilk in our house, so I substituted 2 Tbsp of vinegar with enough milk added to make 2 cups that I let sit for a few minutes. I mixed my flour, starter, and milk the night before and put it in the fridge so I didn't heat up the milk either and it still turned out just fine.
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sourdough starter, at room temperature
2 cups warm buttermilk (about 100 degrees)
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, starter, and buttermilk. Mix well. Cover and let stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes (or covered and refrigerated overnight).
Beat together eggs, milk, honey, and oil. Add to flour mixture and stir until blended. Combine baking soda and salt. Stir into batter, then let stand for 5 minutes.
Bake in a pre-heated electric waffle iron. Serve immediately or let cool on racks, package airtight and freeze. Makes twelve 4-inch square waffles.
I am linking this up with Raising Homemakers and Raising Olives. Be sure to head over there to read other posts about homemaking and breakfast recipes!


1 comment:
These look SO yummy!
Post a Comment