Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cloth vs. Disposables

I know that a lot of you will read the title of this post and quit right there, but if you have children in diapers, I would really encourage you to keep reading. I think you will be amazed at some of what you learn.

I admit, the reason I started using cloth diapers was to save money (and less trips to the store with 3 kids was also a nice plus!), but since then I have also learned a lot about how bad disposable diapers really are. Recently, Pampers came out with a new Dry Max diaper that has been causing a lot of rashes and other problems for babies and I have been reading a lot of articles and blog posts about Pampers telling a lot of lies to defend their diapers and disposable diapers in general. As I have read these, I have been amazed to learn how bad for babies and the environment disposables really are. Did you know that disposable diapers contain cancer causing chemicals that are no longer used in tampons and are banned in all countries but the US??? Why are we putting something like that on our children? Did you also know that disposable diapers will sit in landfills for 250-500 years? How is that being a good steward of the earth God has given us?

These are just a couple of the facts that really stuck out to me, but I would encourage you to read up for yourself and find the facts. If you are interested here is a great post on The Cloth Diaper Report and Dirty Diaper Laundry has done several posts, some with links to more news articles (you may need to read back a ways on her blog to find them all). The Real Diaper Association, a non-profit organization, also provides a lot of information.

If this at all convinces you to consider switching to cloth diapers, I would be more than happy to help you get started. For those of you who picture them as folded diapers with pins and plastic pants, I am very happy to inform you that there are many, many more options available than that and most are as easy to use as disposables (and much cuter too)!

Really, who can resist such cuteness?

1 comment:

Conny said...

that's a PRECIOUS picture!! And I read ALL your post :) I have so many friends who are passionate about cloth diapering - and I'm glad it works for you all. :) I'm not 100% convinced it would work for me - but I'm willing to read ... :) Have a GREAT day.

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails