Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fluff Talk Thursday


Since I've begun using cloth diapers for my kiddos, I've had a few people ask questions about them: why, what kind, how many, how do you wash them, etc. And since Beth over at Happily Domestic is starting to host Fluff Talk Thursdays, a weekly meme all about cloth diapering, I thought I would join in sometimes for any of my readers that are interested in learning more about it! After you are finished reading my post, click the Fluff Talk Thursday button at the top of my post to head over to Beth's blog and read what she and others have to say for the week.

This week's question is: Why Cloth? What made you decide to go the cloth diapering route? Who introduced you to the idea?

With my first 2 kids I never even thought about cloth. I just assumed it was pins, plastic pants, and saggy, bulky diapers. After I had L, I found taking 3 kids to the store was not the easiest thing to do and started looking for ways to not have a reason to go to the store. Since we get our milk from the farm, eggs from the chickens, and most of the veggies from the garden, diapers were one of the few things I still needed to get from the store all the time. I looked online and was amazed at the diapers that were now available! I found a site called The Cloth Diaper Whisperer with a ton of info and 2 of the article on it gave me a few more reasons to switch to cloth: How much money can you save? and 10 benefits to using cloth. However, I was pretty overwhelmed with all the options and wasn't sure where to start. I ordered a few FuzziBunz one size diapers, but when I got them on L, I really didn't like how bulky they were and was about to give it all up. Then I noticed on Facebook a college friend's kids were wearing cloth in her pictures! I asked her to recommend a few brands to start with. She said Bum-ware and Blueberry were her favorites. I tried them and loved them! The Bum-Ware are sized so they are very trim and the Blueberry one size ones are so absorbent because they use hemp, and are still fairly trim.

I am so glad I stuck with it and switched to cloth. I wish I had looked into it when I had J and saved all the money we wasted on disposables for him and S! And cloth diapers are definitely a lot cuter than disposables!

6 comments:

B.A. Hunter said...

Thanks for joining in on my Meme. :-) I am surprised you didn't like Fuzzy Bunz? They are one of my favorites. I have never tried bumwear. I'll have to try those sometime.

It is amazing how much money you save using cloth. The start up cost is the killer, but once that is out of the way the savings begin. :-)

TeachinAuntie said...

Yay! Cloth is great!

Jackie said...

I saw the Blueberry diapers a few months back and really want to try them! You may have just convinced me after hearing you like them as well : )

Chari said...

I love FB sized, but haven't tried the one size yet.

Oh, I'm jealous you live on a farm!!

MaryAnne said...

Those Blueberry diapers sound great, I'll have to look for some.

I love the Cloth Diaper Whisperer site, they always have excellent articles on CDing!

Tricia said...

Congrats, you won the FuzziBunz on my site. Sorry to read that you aren't liking them as much, but free is great for backup diapers!! Please watch for an email from me.

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails