Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Buttermilk

Buttermilk is super easy to make at home.  Even easier than homemade yogurt, but similar in that you need to culture the milk.  First you will need some buttermilk culture.  You can order some from places like Cultures for Health or go the easy way like me.  I just buy some cultured buttermilk from the store.


If you start with the cultures you will need to follow the directions your receive for your first batch.  After you have some cultured buttermilk, you can use some of that to make future batches.  Place about 1/2 cup of the cultured buttermilk in a quart jar and fill the rest of the way with milk.  Put a lid on and give it a gentle shake.  Then let it sit at room temp for 24 hours. Store in the fridge.

 Here's a jar of half used buttermilk that I currently have in my fridge.

The culture kits at Cultures for Health say that some can be used again up to 8 times and some indefinitely.  I have found that using buttermilk from the store usually only works for 4-5 times for me, but I usually am buttermilked out by then and need a break from finding recipes to use it in anyway. :)  Someday I may need to invest in the starter kit and keep it going though.

Blessings,
Linked up with:
Raising Homemakers
Far Above Rubies
The Better Mom
Teach Me Tuesdays
Titus 2sday
Women Living Well
A Delightful Home
Raising Arrows
The Modest Mom
A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Diary of a Stay at Home Mom

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails