Here's what you will need:

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Mashing the bananas:

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Beat in the bananas. Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
The mandatory licking of the beater:


Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (If using frozen blueberries, you might have to go a little longer.)

Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan onto a wire rack. Serve warm with a little butter and try not to eat the whole loaf in one afternoon!


4 comments:
That looks SOOO good! And healthy too!
Hey... I was going around your blog and I saw this recipe... I started a post called the Purple Lunchbox in my blog to send healthy lunch for school for my daughter and Im looking for new recipes and this one seems perfect..
I have a question... I no nothing about baking and all the things I have bake I have done it from premade stuff... So, I was wondering, I have never heard of shortening before, and as I live overseas, Im not sure I will actually be able to find that.. It is totally mandatory???
This bread is perfect for lunches, I used to take it as a kid in my lunch! Shortening is made of hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil (probably not the best thing for you) and is used in a lot of baking around here. It is found in our stores near the flour/sugar/baking stuff. I think it is mostly used as a cheap alternative to butter. If you used 1/2 cup of softened butter in the recipe instead it will probably still work just fine. I don't know if it is always interchangeable though, so if you ever have other recipes with it, you might want to research a little on it.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
I will better use the butter.. I use Flora Extra light butter .. My nutricionist actually allows me to use that butter, so even though Im not the one that will eat it, I prefer to use on my girls those things "approved" by my nutricionist.. LOL :)
By the way, you can join the fun in my blog about lunches... Go here to learn more about it.
.. I will sure mention where I got the recipe from :) Thanks!
Post a Comment