Undaunted is the story of writer Josh McDowell's life. The beginning is about his childhood growing up on a small farm in Michigan. It was hard to read about the horrors he lived through with an alcoholic father, sexually abusive family employee, and a very disjointed family. Needless to say he came to the conclusion that he was the most God-forsaken person in the world at age eleven and he grew up not believing in God. In college, he harassed a group of Christian students who challenged him to prove that the Resurrection never happened. This led him to a summer spent in Europe searching for answers from original sources. He ended up finding that the evidence completely supported the Bible and ended up becoming a Christian. Although he was a new Christian, he found that he still needed to deal with some of the horrors of his past and he slowly began to forgive those who had wronged him. In the end, his father even became a Christian because of Josh's love and forgiveness.
I thought this was a sad, amazing, and inspiring story all in one. While it is so sad that any child would have to experience the pain that Josh did, it is amazing to know that God's love can overcome anything. It is very inspiring to read that Josh was able to forgive those who did such cruel things and helps remind me that I can and need to forgive those in my life who harm me, no matter how small the offense. I also love how God turned something so ugly into something beautiful when Josh's Christianity led his father to God, who in turn also led others in their town to Him. This is a great book that I highly recommend.
I received this book for free for review from Tyndale House Publishers.
Blessings,
1 comment:
This sounds like a great book, Michelle. I love personal stories, biographies and memoirs. Thank you for sharing such a great review.
I am visiting you tonight from Paperback Swap. I ordered the K Heath book ;)
Blessings on a new week!
Post a Comment