Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hear No Evil Review

I recently recieved the book Hear No Evil by Matthew Paul Turner for review. It is a story about his own life and how music played a large part in it. It is filled with funny stories from his childhood growing up in a Independent Fundamental Baptist church, through his college years, and into adulthood as he grew in his faith and learned through his experiences and encounters with music. He tells about how he wanted to be the Michael Jackson of Christian music, moving to Nashville, some of his jobs in the music industry, and the people he met along the way. I really liked all the humor in this book and thought it was interesting to see the perpective of someone growing up in a fundamentalist church. I also enjoyed getting a peek in the Christian music industry. There were a few sections of the book I didn't care for as much. In Matthew's college and adult years, some of the language and discussions were a bit crude and I thought he could have left most of that out and still had a good book. Overall I thought it was a good book, and Matthew is a good writer and storyteller.

From the publisher:
If you’ve ever had the opening bars of a song transport you back in time or remind you of a pivotal spiritual moment, Matthew Paul Turner’s honest—and frequently hilarious—musings will strike a chord. Straightforward and amusing, Hear No Evil is Turner’s “life soundtrack,” a compilation of engaging personal stories about how music—and music’s ability to transform—has played a key role in his spiritual life.
Groove along on his journey as young evangelical Turner attends forbidden contemporary Christian concerts, moves to “Music City” Nashville, and dreams of becoming the Michael Jackson of Christian music.
Cosmic and compelling, keen and funny, every page is a new encounter with the people, places, and experiences that have taught the music-editor-turned-author some new things about God, forced him out of his comfort zone, and introduced him to a fresh view of grace along the way.

If you are interested in learning more about or purchasing this book, you can do that here.

This book was provided for review by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.

No comments:

hit-counter-download.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails